John Cougar TrainingCamp in "Rough Draft"

The following is from an interview between Jason Scarboro (Dead Confederate) and Rough Draft's Allegra:

John Cougar Trainingcamp…Where Only The Strong Survive
By Allegra

If you’re all up in the Athens concert scene (that includes more than just Georgia Theatre, trustafarians), you might have noticed that 40 Watt will soon be hosting John Cougar Trainingcamp. If your reaction was anything like mine, you did a double take…and then spent the next few hours (or longer- I’m going on 3 weeks) thoroughly entertained by the name.


Jason Scarboro, the founder of John Cougar Trainingcamp and drummer for Dead
Confederate, was kind enough to answer some of our more pressing questions
about the upcoming show:

Rough Draft: First of all, how the hell did you come up with the idea of John Cougar Trainingcamp?
Jason Scarboro: Well I have always loved basically stoner metal, and also liked the bigness of bands with multiple drummers. So when we had a little down time from Dead Confederate, I asked a handful of friends if they'd be willing to put together this set, and lucky for me they said yes.

RD: Are you a fan of the real John Cougar, or was it just a badass name?
JS: Definitely just a bad ass name.

RD: Does the Trainingcamp have rigorous, early morning calisthenics?
JS: Of course we do! Two joints and a jog. What kind of dog and pony show you think I’m running here?

RD: Are there any artists/genres that you guys have a special affinity for?
JS: I'd have to say for me personally, the bands that inspired me to want to do this were obviously the Melvins, Sleep, Black Sabbath, Acid King, you know, the good shit. Anything really sludgy, with just a really badass riff steals my heart.

RD: Have practices been chaotic?
JS: Yeah, it's been pretty intense. The guys of Blue Flashing Light were kind enough to allow us to use their space at Pigpen, filling it with the three drum sets and all the other amps and things. And anytime you have that many musicians playing together, parts have to be kind of ironed out. I'm still humbled and very
thankful that my friends were even willing to try something like this with me.

RD: If the Trainingcamp were America's Next Top Model, would you be Tyra?
JS: I was thinking Randy Jackson. We both wear glasses.


John Cougar Trainingcamp makes its debut Thursday, February 12th at 40 Watt,
doors at 9 PM, $7 (18+) $5 (21+). I can’t think of any reason why you wouldn’t
want to go to this show…it’s got everything. As an added incentive, if you can
find me at the show and tell me John Cougar Mellencamp’s life history, I’ll buy
you a drink. This does not apply to my coworkers.


For more of the interview (which is off to a smashing start) pick up this weeks copy of Rough Draft. I believe it came out today, but I'm not sure. You can pick it up just about anywhere downtown, but here's a few specific paper bins:

Amici's, Mellow Mushroom/Doc Chey's, Pita Pit, Broad St. Bar & Grill, ERC, Walker's, The Grill, Sandbar, Lansdowne, Boar's Head, Wild Wing, Copper Creek, Smoker's Lounge, Clocked, Gameday Pub, GA Bar, Little Italy, Globe...and so on. You can also get it at a few random apartment complexes and some on-campus paper bins.

See you at the show!

No comments: