The 5 Most Anticipated Local Albums of 2009

The following is from a piece I wrote for Rough Draft:
THE 5 MOST ANTICIPATED LOCAL ALBUMS OF 2009
-By M

1. Modern Skirts – All Of Us In Our Night
I suppose it’s cheating to include this album considering it’s been floating around locally since late in 2008, but the national release is slated for January 20, 2009. I love their distinct palate of chords and semi-Brit pop chord progressions. Add infectious melodies and you have a damn fine pop album. Having already listened to it extensively, I say Modern Skirts are on the way up and I expect this album to kill in 09.
Why I’m excited: Their previous material proves the band’s songwriting worth, and with production help from David Lowery (Cracker, Camper Van Beethoven) and Mike Mills (uh, R.E.M. dumbass) you know it’s good.
Next Athens show: January 31 at the 40 Watt with Constellations and Oblio.
http://www.myspace.com/modernskirts

2. Cinemechanica – As of yet untitled full-length
I don’t know much yet, but Cinemechanica has a new one in the works. If you are a virgin to the bliss that is Cinemechanica, please do yourself a favor and go see them at their next Athens show. The formula of some unbelievable guitar work and the sickest drum fills you’ve ever heard promises to create epic albums.
Why I’m excited: It’s been 4 years since the last Cinemechanica full-length,
and I’ve listened to the three songs on 2008’s Rivals EP on continuous repeat
for months. Stiff Slack is onboard to release the album in Japan, but look for
its U.S. release in the fall on HelloSir Records.
http://www.myspace.com/cinemechanica

3. A.Armada – As of yet untitled full-length
Speaking of epic albums, the debut full-length from A.Armada is one to look forward to. If you’re one of those people who think that it’s difficult to get into instrumental bands, check out A.Armada. From bombastic and soaring to beautiful and ethereal, this band will make believers out of skeptics.
Why I’m excited: Even with only six songs it’s still very easy to get lost in the swirling delay and reverb of A.Armada’s exceptional last release, Anam Cara. I can’t wait to see what their debut full-length is capable of. Golden Antenna will release the album in Europe, but once again look for its fall local release on HelloSir.
http://www.myspace.com/aarmada

4. Pegasuses-XL – As of yet untitled full-length
I love the glitchy, abrasive, distorted keyboard madness that is Pegasuses-XL. This new record is being produced by Andy Baker and promises to be somewhat of a departure from previous sounds, but I’m confident it will still retain the controlled chaotic element that makes Pegasuses-XL such a great live band.
Why I’m excited: Even though some critics tore Pegasuses-XL’s 2008 release The Antiphon the proverbial new asshole, I thought it was excellent. It’s thematic from track to track, and a few moments really excel and leave you wanting more. What the fuck do the critics know, anyway? Look for this new one on the Ernest Jenning Record Co. in late spring/early fall.
Next Athens show: January 30 at Little Kings with the outstanding local hip-hop kids Deaf Judges.
http://www.myspace.com/pegasuses

5. Gift Horse – Debut full-length very tentatively titled Die Leaves, Fall
Birds
So…this is my band, and I’ll be damned if I’m not including our own stuff. As you read this, we’re in the studio with Hank Sullivant (
Kuroma) and Nate Nelson (Nate Nelson & Cortright) making our debut full-length, which should be out as soon as possible. Shameless self promotion, you say? Damn right.
Why I’m excited: I love myself.
Next Athens show: January 23 at Caledonia with Baak
Gwai, Kebert Xela, & Sound and Shape
http://www.myspace.com/gifthorsetheband

Since 2009 is well underway, I figured it was time to throw this up there. Obviously you may disregard the dates and stuff, as most of them have already passed.

No comments: