Largo

I don't know too much about Los Angeles. I hear good and bad, but neither ever in great detail. One thing about the town I found on my own was Largo, a club in downtown LA that seems quite out of place and almost a transplant from New York or Nashville--in fact you could say it's a spawn of the Bluebird Cafe in Nashville and the Blue Note in New York. In Athens, the closest venue to compare would be our Melting Point at the Foundry Park Inn, an amazing venue in its own right.

I've never been to Largo, but have heard countless recordings and many videos. Every Friday one of my musical heroes, Jon Brion, performs there. And he usually pulls out a special guest or two (including regulars such as Fiona Apple and Benmont Tench).

In the past year, a video doc on the venue has been released and is hopping around from select theatre to theatre. Perhaps Cine here in town will be so kind as to grab a copy. I'm headed out to Los Angeles in November to visit a friend, and Largo will definitely be one of the sights I'm looking forward to seeing. To get an idea of what its all about, check out the vids below:


Largo Trailer


Jon Brion









If you can't tell, I'm a big Fiona fan.

More non-embeddable videos here: www.largofilm.com

2 comments:

Mike said...

Jon Brion is such a badass. He's the only person i can think of who has written a soundtrack that is so much better than the actual movie that it completely overshadows the film. Have fun when you visit...

Anonymous said...

freakin' love that guy.

he's done the score for the upcoming movie synecdoche...and step brothers...hmm...

http://www.traileraddict.com/trailer/synecdoche-new-york/trailer