A Bone to Pick With Everyone

In the last week, I have encountered more negativity with regard to the local music scene (and music in general for that matter) than I have heard in a long time. I have heard shit talk from local musicians, I have read bad reviews in the local publications, I have witnessed bands competing with one another for no reason whatsoever, and of course I've noticed the ever-present internal struggles that plague every band and individual musician. I'm going to try my best not to name any names or cite specific examples in the following rant, but in an effort to make my arguments clear I'm afraid that I'm going to have to call a few people out on this one.

As I have grown as a human being one thing has become evident to me: anything someone does, and I do mean anything, is purely a reflection of their own state of mind and their own image of themselves. This may seem like a relatively simple concept but when you really think about it this statement can be used to explain every human action that you have ever witnessed. It took me about 22 years to figure this out (I'm now 25, by the way) and when I did it blew my fucking head off. I still forget it from time to time, but every time I do I remember that I used to treat people like shit. Why? Because I was sincerely unhappy with myself. Not unhappy. I hated myself. The day that I realized this fact is the day that I officially "grew up." That cliche idea of "growing up" is quantifiable and can be identified as the exact moment in time that you decide that you are an okay dude and it's time to stop treating other people around you like they are just as worthless as you used to think you were. And I'm sincerely sorry to all of those people who got caught up in the train wreck that was my past. I was a bitch.

I say all of this because I had a very short conversation with a local musician tonight that almost made me vomit. This local musician is a very good musician and in one of the best and well known current bands in Athens. Now every time you see this guy he is talking shit about another band. I said whats up to him tonight and that was all the invitation he needed to blast away at a few different musicians. For example, although we were at the Deerhunter/Twin Tigers/Chunklet Anniversary show at the 40 Watt, he proceeded to tell me how bad he hated Deerhunter and that "his camp talks tons of shit about these guys." He also commented that "he is sick of all the fucking reverb instrumental stuff" which is amazing because this dude has seen my band a zillion times and knows that my group soaks everything in tons of reverb. He said that Deerhunter frontman Bradford Cox was a dick to him in Europe. And just for good measure he commented that he could have "shit out Deerhunter's stuff in high school." Wow. I smiled, grabbed my girl by the hand and got the fuck out of there, mid-encore.

I realize that it sounds like I am bitching and moaning but this person also runs a local record label and I really do love his bands, so I am not so much crying about it as much as I am saying that as a person with a moderate amount of local influence it would be nice to see a little less bullshit competition.

Regardless, this person is not going to change their ways and if you met him today he would tell you (whether you asked or not) how great he is and how much he loves himself. But truthfully he doesn't. He is scared shitless of someone finding this out so he compensates by putting up a front and doing his best to treat people badly. And it is his right to. I just want people to realize the difference between artists and people who play music. People who simply play music can be superficial and shallow. They have learned to pang out notes on some instrument. They can't see beyond what is directly in front of them. I first encountered this person when I was in music school at Augusta State University. In that case, this person had no idea what being an artist means. They simply looked at a dead white person's music on a sheet of paper and mechanically crapped it out. They are seeking public acknowledgement and a wage, and music is a field that can give you both. So is prostitution.

There are exceptions to every rule, but the person I am speaking of two paragraphs ago is simply a player of music. And a very good one. To me an artist sees a bigger picture: they have a depth that goes beyond the surface of what they are seeing. That's not to say that there is not competition between artists, but it is of a different nature. They do not talk shit about others because they feel a need to prove that they are better than the other. They drive each other with the only worthwhile thing that they were ever born with: their art. They also appreciate other art even if it does not suit their particular tastes or level of technicality. Why? Because it is an art form. This is why art can not be defined. Am I an artist? I don't know or care. Right now I'm trying to get better at making music that I like and that expresses the way I feel. I can only say this: I like a lot of things that I hate. I hope that makes sense.

With regard to the local publications, I have read some Flagpole reviews lately by a guy named Tony Floyd that have really pissed me off. (I say his name only because I'm sure it's a pseudonym). For example, in his last review of the Fleet Foxes show at the Georgia Theatre he managed to find something snide and ignorant to say about Athens even though the sold-out show was absolutely incredible (seriously, listen to Fleet Foxes). It was dumb, but it was something to the effect of there being "enough rich white kids in Athens to fill a room that size." Of course this is absolutely shit journalism but hey it's the Flagpole.

Why is it that critics always seem to be the most critical? Because it is easy. It is hard to say what I loved about the shows that I loved, but I can immediately tell you what is was that I hated about the ones that sucked. When you put the unbelievable feeling of a life-altering show into words it loses its luster. All of it. Look at how easy it is for me to proclaim what is wrong with our music scene. See what I mean?

All I know is it's one thing when you give a national band the finger and say that their show or their latest album was crap. They have major label backing and PR people. They wipe their asses with the Flagpole. But when you have a local Athens band who just took the only $5,000 that they will ever see out of their own pockets, made an album, let it get into the hands of the only writer who will review it only to have it slammed for the sheer humor of it-then you are treading out onto some very dangerous territory. Just because I reference two relatively national acts here doesn't meant that this isn't happening to locals as well. Please God, we already have publications like the Flagpole and Stomp and Stammer who destroy albums because it's funny to them. I'm not saying that every local album should get 5 stars (we have SE Performer for that), but maybe a little more thought should go into things. Let's not perpetuate this shitty attitude by doing it ourselves through word of mouth. Besides, Chunklet is the only one that is worth a damn and legitimately funny anyway, so just read that.

Look, I can go on and on about this, all of this, but there is a simple point and I think I have set it on the tee. WE ARE CHOKING THE LIFE OUT OF THIS PLACE. Day by day. Every little comment, every bad review...it's happening. I think we all need to take a deep breath and digest a little humility. Although there are some really great bands doing some pretty impressive stuff right now we are collectively barely stirring the pot. Let's remember that. You can laugh me off, say I don't know shit if you want. That's fine. You are entitled to your opinion. But I do not want to be able to say I told you so, I don't want to be right on this one. You don't have to make music to think like an artist. Music scenes are fragile. I think they require a vast support network, not just a few flagship acts. Let's provide that support network, not because it is good for anyone in particular but because it is good for all of Athens. The whole scene. We don't need anybody. All we have to do is go to shows and listen to stuff. Musicians: keep writing, don't quit playing and lets keep our mouths shut. DO NOT TALK SHIT. Your art will do all of the work for you. Help me get this blog off the dirt. That's all. Let's chalk all of this recent negativity up to people getting a little too drunk and loose-lipped combined with stress due to the fact that the economy has officially shit the bed. Thank you for reading and happy birthday Hunter.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sad story, but you are right on all counts. No reason to be competitive if we all have the same goals, right?