Monotonix

I have to write something about Israeli band Monotonix. Simply put, I think that everyone should go see this band . They tour the states extensively and I make it a point to go see them everytime they come through Athens. The first time I saw them at the Secret Squirrel, I was almost knocked out by an enormous (and heavy) stuffed giraffe that somebody drilled me in the head with. The second time I saw them at the 40 Watt, the lead singer stuck the mic down his pants and then shoved it in my face. He almost broke my tooth. The third time I saw them, which was last night at Go Bar, the show began with the lead singer pulling down his pants and showing everyone a spot where the sun rarely shines. It ended with the drums being carried outside to the sidewalk, where an officer of the law was already waiting to issue a ticket for people spilling over onto the sidewalk. Somewhere in the middle of all this the lead singer grabbed a trash can from the bar and poured it on the drummer's head. Then he threw it at the guitarist and busted his face wide open. Most of their shows end with a crowd participation bit where the drummer is hoisted up by the audience while sitting on his kick drum and playing the rest of the kit, which is also being hoisted up by the audience. Actually the entire show is a crowd participation bit. If any of this sounds like fun to you then you should probably go enjoy. Here's a clip of them doing six shows in one day with their old drummer (who used to play standing up):

Here's a Chunklet magazine SXSW show with the new drummer:


Anyhow, the hype machine appears to be turning its gears for 'em, so chances are they will become much bigger than they already are. It's easy to overlook the fact that they are also a great band and the music is great if you like deep, headbanging metal guitar tones played over jungly beats and English words sang by someone who really doesn't speak too much English. One of the best bands I've seen to date.

No comments: