ATHFEST 2008 WRAP-UP

Athfest was much different for me this year than it was last year. In 2007 I spent most of the festival in a drunken stupor, trying not to go to either the hospital or jail. But coming very close to going to both. Twice. See here for more details if you like. This year was sober (relatively) and I payed more attention. I missed a few of the bands that I wanted to see (Twin Tigers, A.Armada, Cinemechanica) but also saw some really great acts like Ninja Gaiden Band at the Georgia Theatre, Pegasuses-XL at the 40 Watt, and Blue Flashing Light and Dark Meat on the outdoor stage. Don't know if I'm starting to come around on Dark Meat or not, but I think they were remarkably better than they were the last time I saw them. The set we (Gift Horse) played was a very fun one, and we were immediately informed after the show that we would never play the venue again due to our wrecking the stage, being too loud, and committing other sins and acts of debauchery. So, that's a good sign.
I liked this year's festival much better than last year's, and although it would have been nice to have some acts like Dead Confederate and The Whigs playing the festival again, they both missed it because they are touring the globe extensively so one can't be too upset. By the way, heard Dead Confederate played a helluva set at Bonnaroo this year and were called back out to play an encore. Anyhow, there were no injuries, no cops coming to my house, no babies at keg parties, and no looking at B Scar's asscrack (all things that happened last year). So I guess I could say that things are looking up for ol' Miguel.

ATHFEST 2008 BY THE NUMBERS:
miles i walked from my house to downtown: 5
temperature Saturday afternoon: 750
people in the 40 watt for Cinemechanica Saturday night: too damn many
times i puked: 0
times i almost puked: 1
tubas in the horn section for Dark Meat: 1
guys playing guitar solos on the shoulders of another guy: 1 (pegasuses)
minutes it took the kid to beat ninja gaiden: about 25 or so
tv's full of lights kicked over: 2

So that's my take. I encourage anybody else to include their own experiences. As always, check out all of the bands mentioned above over here <--.

No comments: